What is metamask?
Metamask is a cryptocurrency wallet that is used as an extension on Chrome, Firefox and browsers Brave. Or let you manage your Ethereum private keys through the mentioned web browser.
It allows you to run Ethereum dApps (Decentralized application) right in the browser without running a full Ethereum Node. That means you don't have to download and sync the entire blockchain on your device or computer.
Instead, the computer connects to another Ethereum Node named infura and runs these smart contract on that node.
Chrome's online store has more than 1 million downloads, which could indicate its widespread popularity.
Features of metamask wallet
- Intuitive user interface: Its user interface is quite nice and intuitive to use.
- Multi-language support: Many languages including Vietnamese.
- HD wallets: MetaMask is an HD wallet, so you don't need to worry about backing up your public / private key pairs individually. Instead, just rely on the 12 seed phrase phrases during setup. But you should remember to keep that phrase carefully, losing 12 words will lose all the crypto funds stored.
- Custom fee: Can adjust the gas price and gas limit.
- More ERC-20 token: Add or hide erc-20 tokens freely.
- Network options: Developers and advanced users who are developing DApps via the Ethereum network can also access various trials through the MetaMask wallet.
Watch now: What is gas in Ethereum?
How to install metamask
I will guide on each browser so that you can easily add add-ons to the browser you are using.
- Access: https://metamask.io/
- choose Download on the menu bar. Select the button Install MetaMask for Chrome, you will be redirected to the Chrome web store.
- Press the button Add to Chrome, the popup you choose Add gadgets to install into chrome.
Similar to chrome:
- On the Brave browser and visit https://metamask.io/
- choose Download on the menu bar. Scroll down to select the icon Brave, you will be redirected to the Chrome web store.
- Press the button Add to Brave. Popup and select Add the extension, it is done.
- Go to the firefox app and visit https://metamask.io/
- choose Download and drag the mouse down to select the button Install MetaMask for Firefox to access the firefox add-on page
- Select the button + Add to Fifefox, the window pops up and you press on More to install.
Once installed, people will see the fox logo in the right corner of the screen. So is successful with adding add-on metamask on browsers already. Next I will guide you how to create a wallet.
Instructions on how to create Metamask wallet
In this article I will guide you to create a wallet on chrome browser. Brave browsers, firefox brothers can do the same.
Step 1: Select the fox icon in the right corner of the screen. Click select Get Started.
Step 2: There are two options here:
- One is Add an existing wallet by selecting the button Import Wallet then you need more 12 seed phrases.
- The other is to create a new wallet by selecting the button Create a Wallet.
Adding a wallet with 12 seed phrases is very simple, just enter those phrases, set an access password, so it's quite brief. I will guide you how to create a new wallet, remember to follow each step to avoid mistakes.
Select the button Create a Wallet to continue. You will see the item Help Us Improve MetaMask (these are just a few terms and requirements between you and the metamask). Press the button I gree to continue.
Step 3: Now you set a password to access Metamask, then check the box I have read and agree to the Terms of you then press the "Create".
After creating the password, the next thing is to save 12 recovery phrases.
I have covered a few words already, you follow and copy the 12 words onto a sheet of paper in the correct order and keep it safe. Next, we need to confirm those 12 recovery phrases.
Just choose the words in the right order, then press Confirm to finish creating the account and save 12 recovery phrases.
That's it, initially create an account and click the button All done To get to the wallet's interface:
Coins supported by metamask
Metamask supports Ethereum and all ERC-20 token.
How to add ERC-20 token to the account
You can add other tokens by searching for the token name. Then select the button Next.
For example, if I want to add more EOS, I search and click EOS in the search list:
Metamask confirms whether you want to add the token. Agree then choose Add Token, if not then you choose Come back.
After adding EOS tokens, the account information will display as shown below.You have two options when you click on the 3 dots:
- Hide that token
- Or View on Etherscan.
How to add custom tokens
Step 1: At the main interface you choose Add token -> Custom Token.
Step 2: Enter the token address you are interested in in the box Token Contract Address. Then press Next and you will get instructions for adding tokens to it.
Step 3: Click Add Token to end the process.
How to create more accounts on metamask
Quite easily just do the following:
Step 1: Click the account icon in the right corner of the screen, then select Create Account.
Step 2: Enter the name you want to put in the box Account Name. For example, I named Blogtienao, press the button Create to create. That's it, too fast, right?
How to send ETH from your Metamask wallet
Keep track of each step to avoid errors:
Step 1: Open the metamask as usual. You choose the button Send on the right of the screen.
Step 2: Enter the ETH address in the box Search Or you can scan QR code (remember to check the address carefully)
Step 3: You need to fill in the following information:
- Amount: The amount of eth you want to send.
- Transaction Fee: Confirm gas charge, there are 3 options Slow (Slow), Average (Medium) and Fast (fast). Naturally, the higher the charge, the faster it will be sent. Can be customized offline.
- Then you give Next to continue. Final information included GAS FEE and all the money you send with the fee on the item TOTAL. Review the information and press Confirm to end the process.
Because my wallet just created it from the beginning for you to see it easy, so I have not deposited money in it yet so I reported an error, you do not need to pay attention and still be smooth. kkk
How to deposit / reload tokens into your metamask wallet
To send ETH or ERC-20 tokens to your MetaMask Wallet from another exchange or wallet. You just need to send the address of one of the accounts in MetaMask to finish.
The steps are as follows:
Step 1: Open the extension icon.
Step 2: Mouse over the account name it will display Copy to clipboard, click to copy the address and give it to the sender. Or manipulate on the exchange you want to transfer to the metamask wallet.
Instructions for connecting Myetherwallet wallet with metamask
The steps are as simple as:
Step 1: Select the metamask utility and press the icon Account and choose Import Account.
Step 2: You have two options as follows:
- Use Private key: Paste your MyEtherWallet private key into the box Paste your private key string here and choose Imported.
- Choose JSON file: You will need to select a file from your computer and enter the same password you use to access your account on MyEtherWallet:
You also now have access to accounts created on MyEtherWallet from MetaMask. Very easy right.
Instructions to link cold wallet Ledger and Trezor with metamask
- Check your account balance (ETH or Tokens).
- Send tokens and collect ETH and ERC20, ...
This step you just need to follow the first step you guide then the metamask steps will guide you okay:
Step 1: Select icon account -> Connect Hardware Wallet -> Select the wallet you want and press the button Connect.
Step 2: Select an account you want to interact with. Once you successfully connect your account, it will work just like other MetaMask accounts, with the difference being that you need to plug in your wallet to confirm the transaction. The operation of sending / receiving coin takes place exactly like the steps above.
However, for example, with ledger nano S / X wallet, when sending ETH, you need Confirm, your Ledger Nano S wallet will have a message asking you “Confirm Transaction ” along with the details of the transaction. Check the details of the transaction and click the key to the right of the ledger to confirm the transaction.
Is metamask wallet safe?
Number of users with 1 million downloads on the chrome store, not to mention firefox enough to see its popularity and safety and convenience.
Alternatively, you can use ethereum wallets at the list:Top 10 Secure and Secure Ethereum (ETH) Wallets 2020
Is it possible to change the language on Metamask?
You just need to click on the metamask widget, then select Settings -> General. In the section Current Language, Choose the language you want to be.
MetaMask may be the second best ETH and ERC20 wallet you can see after MyEtherWallet. Through the MetaMask wallet, you can access DApp and other Ethereum applications. Therefore, it also acts as an Ethereum blockchain browser.
There are also many interesting things that I cannot master here. I just listed the main features so you want to learn more, you should try to know. Thanks!